GPD is one of the most famous PC Handhelds on the market. The company released many versions over the years. Some of them are closer to Handheld consoles, while others are basically smaller Laptops.
GPD Win Max is a tiny gaming laptop first released in 2020. It covered a niche that was needed between handhelds and laptops and was more powerful than GPD Win 2 which was available at the time. After the release of GPD Win 3, a comparable revision of GPD WIN MAX was also released in 2021.
This week, GPD Win MAX 2 is announced! It'll be a more powerful piece of technology comparable to gaming laptops. GPD offered a lot of details on the specs as well as mock-up pictures. that are subject to change. The first version of GPD WIN MAX 2 will have an Intel processor
- 2 SSD slots
- 2 SD slots (1 Full SD and 1 MicroSD)
- HDMI + 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- Touchscreen with active pen support for 4096-level pressure sensitivity; (Compatible with surface pen.)
- 2 Rear user-mappable buttons.
- 2 USB-4 ports, one with eGPU support (Intel via TB4, AMD via USB4)
- 3 USB 3.2 ports
- 16/32 GB LPDDR5 Ram (Intel - 5200MT/s, AMD - 6400MT/s)
- 10.1 inch native landscape narrow bezel display 1600p set at 1200p within windows
- HALL Sensor Analog sticks, Analog Triggers and 6-axis gyroscope
- Magnetic covers for game controllers
- Fingerprint reader power button
- 4 speakers (front and side firing)
- 65wh battery
I'm mostly interested in the size difference. GPD Win Max 2 is noticeably bigger than the older Win Max, but the difference isn't huge. The screen is much bigger thanks to thinner bezels. Here's a photo comparison by The Phawx:
While some people see this as a competition for Steam Deck, I don't see it that way. It covers a unique niche that even other GPD products don't cover. It's closer to competing with the recent 2-in-1 Tablets than with handhelds, and I find value in GPD WIN MAX 2 covering this niche!
- This post is also on Read.cash.