The quote above has been attributed to Warren Buffet, one of the richest business mogul the world has ever known. Am not sure if he was the one that made it or not. However, I found great sense and I strongly believe in the message passed across by that quote. You probably know that I am a proponent of entrepreneurship and self-employment. I researched about how to create multiple streams of income recently and accidentally, I found out this: in Forbes list of the richest people of the world, non of them is an employee. It gave credence to the above subject of finding an establishing some business that could make you money while you sleep. Unfortunately, the educational system has something else to say.
What we are taught in schools
Unlike encouraging people to develop entrepreneurial spirit, the education system today encourages students to make good grades. Yes, they believe that to be successful, you must go to school, make good grades, come out and land a well-paying job. Many have believed this. Students are taught to focus on grades and less importance is attached to learning life skills needed to succeed. We see the result today. The labour market is filled with job seekers that have little technical skills needed to do the job. And talking about jobs, the global unemployment rate shows that there are actually fewer jobs available for the millions of job-seekers globally.
A friend once said that in some countries, school is scam. Because you go through such schools and come off worse. Another friend said this: "The government told us that education is the key. We went to school and good the education which is the key, only to come out and see that government has changed the padlock". Funny, isn't it? Please get it right. Am not saying that going to school is bad. Not at all, I am a graduate too. But my point is that we have to find a way to make extra income and not depend completely on our full-time jobs. Like Warren Buffet said, lots of people have chosen to work till they die because they have closed their eye or completely ignorant of opportunities to make money while sleeping.
Granted, it is difficult in some countries to build multiple streams of income. Sometimes, economic conditions and government policies might hinder people from getting alternative sources of making money. However, many have found that the internet gives us a lot of opportunities to make money online. Yes, you can explore money making opporunities that you can find online. Lots of people - I included - have leveraged these opportunities. So why not think about them too. Here they are:
A few Opportunities to make extra income online
1. Freelancing: If you have a skill or you can teach a someone a skill, you can sell that knowledge online. There are lots of freelancing platforms online. You can do a little Google search on that.
2. Blogging: You already know that. If you have a soft spot for writing, then blogging is for you. On Steemit here, you can make little extra income. You can also start a blog website of your own. Think about a niche that you are good at and start from there.
3. HODL: This is a cryptocurrency business where you buy and hold cryptos when the market is low, and sell when the market price is high to make your profit.
4. Dropshipping: You can source on-demand products online, promote them and when people make orders, you supply to them. There are lots of dropshipping platforms out there. A little Google search will open your eye on that.
5. Web designing: Is no longer pure programming. There are lots of tools and WYSIWYG platforms today that you can use for web designing. You can learn to use some of them in few days. Wordpress is a prime example. So if you have web designing skill, you can look for web jobs online or in your area. There are still many other opportunities to make money online. Why not do a little more digging on Google to unearth them.
You do not have to work until you die. All you need to do is to brainstorm for business ideas, and plan to start up something. You can also research the suggested online businesses and numerous others that you can easily start. Even if you have a full-time job, its not entirely wrong to look for side gigs that you can make extra money from. There is lack of job security today, and you can always fall back on alternative income sources if something drastic happens to you or your job. Think about this!!!!