Looking back at how far communication had evolved, it can be observed that technology has brought life-long changes to completely revolutionize various concepts and methods of doing things. Long before now, communication was done differently, nothing like what we have in our modern world today. Doves, fire, drums, and stones were used to communicate and send messages across even before technology became a thing. It's funny how absurd this sounds now, but it was commonplace those days and was attributed some value and was widely used.
Over the years, technology has brought evolution to the world and the concept of communication. Over a hundred years have rolled by since wireless communication technology pervaded the world of communication networks. In the last century, several developers and engineers have contributed greatly, through research and experiments, to the technological advancements we can see in the way we communicate. It is an exponential evolution worth its weight in gold. While we want to be immersed in the novel pattern of communication, it is almost impossible to neglect the originality and early days of wireless communication.
Some of the most intriguing moments in the history of wireless communication technology date back to the 1880s. Early scientists and engineers deployed different means to enhance the idea behind communication. In 1880, it all began with the discovery of radio waves when German physicist Heinrich Hertz proved that radio waves actually exist. This was where it all began. This discovery gave rise to the telegraph and mobile phones, and it is the reason we can communicate with others even while we are countries apart.
The evolution of wireless communication progressed and in the year 1901, wireless communication hit another milestone as Britain and Canada made history by communicating through a brief letter which was the first wireless transatlantic message. Two decades after, in 1922, the discovery of FM frequencies birthed the invention of the portable radio, which established a framework for wireless communication that designed the Ethernet and transmissions through high-speed packets in 1970. In 1983, a tech giant at that time popularly known as Motorola stole the spotlight with the birth of the first generation of wireless cellular technology (1G). And then, a new phase of the evolution began with advanced generations of wireless technology such as the 2G, 3G, 4G, and the most novel 5G.
How Is Wireless Communication Evolving?
Telecommunication firms are steadily working on new technologies that can enhance wireless communication and keep the evolution going. Several developers are making in-depth research to design mind-blowing wireless communication technologies expected to influence and revolutionize the future of wireless technology. While not all of these technologies are widely used to communicate in different parts of the globe, the adoption rate appears promising and that could mean an exponential increase in adoption rate over the next few years.
Some of the most talked-about recent technologies poised to redefine wireless communication include:
This the fifth generation of wireless cellular technology. It is currently the most sought-after technological innovation in the world of wireless communications. Telcos and non-telcos are racing to implement 5G and exploit all the potentials packed in the advanced facet of wireless communication. Although 4G is still widely used by many companies across the globe and might not seem like it can entirely be displaced by 5G, the novel upgrade to wireless communication seems to have captured the interest of firms like Intel. Outside the world of communication and business, 5G is finding its way into the lives of individuals who are adopting cutting-edge technologies such as driverless cars, drones, and other smart devices.
I know Wi-Fi wouldn't sound strange to you but Li-Fi would if you are only hearing about it for the first time. Companies won't stop working on better versions of wireless networks. A tech company in Estonia, Velmenni, is behind the idea of the technology called Li-Fi. It is aimed to deliver connections at non-seen speed with tight security. Li-Fi works in an interesting way. It is designed to operate through LED bulbs that are connected to your personal computer or laptop via a small piece of computer hardware called a dongle.
The Impact Of The Evolution Of Wireless Technology On The World
It is not difficult to see the impact of the evolution of wireless technology in the modern world. Think of it this way: what would today's world be without wireless technology? Or rather, consider being without your phone for at least 24 hours? It turns out we can almost not do without wireless communication. Even the most remote parts of the globe can reach the urban parts with wireless technology. It is safe to say wireless communication bridges the gaps between far and wide. Wireless technology has undoubtedly become an indispensable aspect of our lives.
Wireless technology has impacted the world and different sectors in several important ways including:
- Business Communications: Have you noticed how wireless technology has drastically changed how business is being conducted today? It is easier to connect with thousands of business associates and clients across the globe. Wireless technology made it so.
- Health: The health sector happens to benefit a great deal from novel and emerging technologies and wireless technology is no exception. Wireless communication has left a long-lasting impact on the health sector. Medical centers in developing countries and remote areas especially are seeing improvement in the distribution of medical treatments and materials with wireless communication.
- News Reporting: Wireless communication has dramatically changed how news and data are being collected and reported. Anyone can be a news reporter with how far wireless communication has brought us. From taking videos of scenarios to recording audios, wireless communication has proven that anyone anywhere can be a spot-news reporter.
- Social Change: People no longer need to meet in person to socialize. Social communities built online are the order of social change. In line with the impact of wireless communication technology, people work together to achieve the same objective, connecting seamlessly owing to the potential of the advanced technology.
- Education: Smart and mobile devices such as phones, laptops, computers, and tablets, all powered by wireless technology, have proven to be of great importance in learning. While some educators consider these devices as some form of distraction, it is undisputed that wireless technology is redefining and changing different sectors and education is just one of them.
With the rate at which innovations and advancements to existing ones are steadily increasing, the future of wireless technology is set to unleash some of the most mind-boggling technologies the world will ever witness.