Dear readers, in previous publications we have dealt with aspects concerning urban gardens and the importance they have in the food security of the sector where they are implemented. In this sense, the advantage of developing urban gardens from the point of view of management is that they are smaller surfaces, which allows the application of ecological alternatives in a simple way, since high quantities of elements such as organic fertilizers are not needed and the balance of natural processes in the planted surfaces is maintained.
In view of the above, the following are some of the advantages that, from our perspective, should be considered:
- Use of recycled material: as mentioned at the beginning of the gardens are small spaces where some agricultural crops are grown, some may think that its development can be expensive because they automatically think of cement and blocks, but the truth is that you can use recycled material such as plastic containers that can be filled with water and open some grooves to bury them to achieve delimit the space as shown in the following image.
- Use of organic material: organic material such as cattle manure, decomposing tree trunks, vegetable ash, among other elements that can be applied directly or used as ingredients to make fertilizers such as compost, biol and manure tea that favor the growth and development of crops can be used for composting and fertilizing.
- Artisanal propagation: we refer to the word artisanal, because we can use seeds from fruits and / or fresh vegetables that are used for the preparation of meals in our homes, generally in our geographical area we use the seeds of paprika, chili bell pepper and tomato, these seeds are placed in water for approximately 12 to 24 hours so that the seed coat softens a little and the process of imbibition occurs, that is to say that the embryo has the necessary moisture for germination.
- Biodiversity conservation: in sustainable gardens, organic products are used not only for fertilizing but also for pest control, for example garlic extract, neem leaf macerate, which has an excellent allelopathic effect, among other homemade preparations that allow natural control of some insect pests, thus we do not contaminate our soils with toxic surface substances and therefore the soil biota is kept active for the decomposition of organic matter.
- Water recycling: in some sectors rainwater is recycled, which is an ecological activity. This water can bring good benefits to the crop, since, according to some researchers, rainwater contains important nutritional elements for plant growth, such as nitrogen, in addition to being free of substances such as chlorine, which may be contained in the water we use in our homes.
- Harvesting work: iharvesting vegetables is done in a simple way, since, although the orchards can be very long, the width can be approximately 1 meter wide, which allows harvesting the vegetables throughout the orchard in a simple way.
- Integration of the family or the community: when the gardens are made collectively, there is an integration of the people who make it because each one has a specific task for the implementation of the same, in addition to this, it generates a great sense of relevance, because what you made with your own hands has a great value.
In some opportunities those who begin to make a garden are not specialists in the area and seek advice and information to perform the work in an optimal way, it is obvious that a theoretical and practical learning is acquired and ends up knowing the management of crops, soil, water and even how the weather influences certain items. Growing our own vegetables ensures that we have vegetables available to prepare our meals, in some countries where inflation is very high is something of extreme necessity to save money and of course to feed and have a better quality of life.
In short, dear readers, agriculture is essential to maintain our quality of life, it is an irreplaceable sector because it depends on it to maintain our quality of life and keep us nourished, which to some extent guarantees our health. It is not a matter of establishing vegetable gardens in any place, if you have a free space in your yard you can make it useful and we are sure that after the first harvest, it will become a very enriching habit.
Thank you for staying until the end.
From agrotecnia we reiterate our gratitude to our followers and all the communities that value our agricultural content, this commits us to continue sharing quality information with the whole hive.