Hello from the beach life
It has been about a month since I have done the last general update about life and work at the resort and my farm.
It has been a busy month with regards to work and it has been fruitful too. Business is growing and we are getting busier on the weekends. This has meant less time for me in Accra and less time for the farm and other things. Bucket has also been in the shop getting some work done so I have been without good means of transportation.
Dzigbordi and I are also getting ready to go to January in November for our traditional marriage. I have invited my parents and they are also working on coming so there is a lot to do and prepare for.
Below we will go over the growth of the farm and the struggles and successes
The pumpkins have been hit and miss with some rotting and being attached by beatles. A friend suggested wrapping the in cheese cloth, or I was thinking gauze wrap because it is easier to find. I could have done more spraying of a non chemical solutions that I will go into later in this post.
This is about a month ago and shows some prgression in the farm and systems.
A more healthy looking pumpkin in its early stage.
The pumpkin patch before I gave it a weeding.
Another baby pumpkin will be coming up.
Some tomatoes harvested.
A view of the farm from one corner.
The swale on the left a row of okra then a row of bambara beans then another row of Okra.
A papaye tree on the swale.
A little more recent picture from the same corner.
This was before I did a lot of weeding the rows were getting a little choked by weeds.
We put down some more waste from the palm trees in the swales.
I got a chance to do some weeding and left the weeds in the walking patch to break down.
Some baby corn coming up.
One of the pumpkins getting even bigger.
The corn growing a little more.
A look down over the second section of the farm over the second swale into the last section.
The bushy corner where the pumpkin patch is.
Some aphids or other creature attached my watermelon very badly. Then along with the heat and no rain they seem to be no more.
The second swale has now been completely stuffed with organic waste. I love how the gardener from the resort wraps the palm fronds into these tight packages that will act as sponges for me.
This pumpkin is getting more matured and a deep green in color.
Doing some weeding with the old cutlass.
On my way to the farm sometimes I make some friends.
At the resort I have been bouncing between guest rooms. I am now finally getting a place ready to be my apartment. This is the frontage of the room.
It is currently being used for some storage and was originally supposed to be an office. Here is where we will do the kitchen. And frankly Dzigbordi and I are really looking forward to having our own kitchen here so when we harvest from the farm we can make our own tastes from our harvests.
This is the main room which will be our bedroom, living room and office. A door will be made through the back wall to where a bathroom is. We have also installed an AC.
This is the other side of the outside. I think we will be able to make it a cozy home.
We get plenty of beautiful sunsets from the farm and beach.
Even if we do not have our own kitchen here at the moment we are still eating well. These are som salads made with arugula and spinach from our farm.
This is some wagashi (fried cheese from the north) and some jollof rice and salad.
Last week my best friend came around and we bbq some pork and beef ribs.
My friend also went fishing down the beach and I took a photo of the new resort being build next door from a former professional football player.
We have harvested about a total of 7kg of okra so far and there is more to come. I have been providing it to the kitchen at the resort to make Okra stew for the staff meals to take with banku.
I also pulled up one of my groundnut (peanut) plants and Dzigbordi has eaten them all. I think they can get a little more mature for the rest of the plants in the ground.
Dzigbordi harvesting some peppers. This and the remaining photos were all just taken yesterday.
I have been very impressed with the peppers and so far I have harvested about 3kg of them.
Yesterday I did some organic spraying to try to help with some of the pest problems detailed above. I used some neem oil, citronella oil and soap. I mixed this all up in a backpack sprayer I bought a few days ago. Everything worked well I hope to see some positive results on my crops soon.
Dzigbordi taking some selfies. See how much the corn has grown.
All pics were taken with a Huawei Y7P phone and an Iphone 8.