RE: Hey Steemains - Let's start a #discussion!

You are viewing a single comment's thread:

Wow... this is brilliant @timcliff!

For me, Steemit's "thing" is precisely what I hoped it would be when I found it: "Global Engagement." As I have said before, this platform reminds me SO much of the "social blogging" venues that hit their peak right before MySpace (and them Facebook) came on the scene.

Steemit is about creating interesting and engaging content... and then people having lengthy interactions over it. Which is something I find very rewarding and makes me what to come back and post again. And pretty much since about my 20th post or so I have followed the same format... end the post with a series of questions to get involved in the topic.... whatever it is. And it's a format followed by a number of Steemit's finest... @kus-knee comes to mind; he always brings the reader into the post. And typically ends up with 50-100+ comments.

It doesn't so much matter what the content is... but ask people to engage with it.

One of my all-time favorite things we've had on Steemit (since I've been here) was @merej99's "Community Engagement Challenge" a couple of months back. It was a 10-day event... and we had 40+ participants from freshly minted minnows to some very "senior" Steemians... write an engaging post every day AND make 500+ real engaging comments over the 10 days... the content and dialogue was stunning... we even had one insane post run to 700+ comments.

So anyway, I'm ALL about launching the #discussion tag and making it a thing here-- let's DO it! I would suggest part of a good "discussion" post is also for the poster to start off with some basic questions... just to get people thinking, and get the ball rolling.

3 comments

I totally agree! It is great to see people like you getting involved with the tag. It will really help it to become a "thing" :)

I immediately thought of you when I read this post. You do an excellent job of not only writing, but always asking questions at the end of your post. As you say, join the conversation, what are your thoughts? Cannot wait to see what you write about for this tag.

YES! Engagement is definitely the key and encouraging #discussion is the key to building relationships! I love it and will be fully supporting this tag and initiative... just as soon as I get my ass in gear and carve out time to be on Steemit.

btw - I'm hoping to launch another 10 day Community Engagement Challenge. I'm thinking it will end in time for a Halloween party! What do you think @denmarkguy?