RE: Hey Steemains - Let's start a #discussion!

(Edited)

You are viewing a single comment's thread:

hmmm, it's a good question, i'm not sure ultimately what Steemit's strength is. Like you say it's a place for alternative viewpoints and niche commentary on politics and economics/crypto, but also a big artistic community in photo-art-graphics, and then food & travel... i think ultimately the idea of subcultures needs to be developed more, like different pods or areas you visually "hop into" to pursue your interest. steemit is kind of "listy" and needs to get more 3D/visual in its format, imho

3 comments
(Edited)

@clumsysilverdad, I couldn't have put it better. I totally agree with you. The visuals need to be improved. I think that a digiprint expert could potentially overhaul the lay-out so that it's visually more pleasing to the eye and easier to read at a glance. I like your suggestion about pods - creating separate interest zones. For instance, I might have followers, but what if I want to post something about photography and most of my followers are into crypto? Do I risk annoying them when it comes up in their feed? Yes, I try to tag appropriately, but I can't do this to filter material for followers, beyond setting a relevant title. I would also love to see the page divided into two columns - the text on the left side, with comments and replies on the right. A sub-editor's job is to make a broadsheet more visually appealing, with catchy headings, maintain the reader's interest and make it all easier to navigate. I don't think we need a sub-editor - but we need the interface to be more reader friendly. Maybe when a post is created, a box could be ticked for whom it might appeal so that followers can instantly recognise the category and subject matter, and decide whether it's for them? The tags work for non-followers, trending and random surfing. Perhaps a colour-coded system to categorise posts, i.e. green for nature, etc. I guess the categories would have to be decided - Arts/Sport/Science/Technology - etc - and colour-coded appropriately. I follow an eclectic mix of interests and bloggers on here - and enjoy dropping into their blogs. I just think it might be a little less visually taxing if the lay-out were tweaked :-) Happy steeming !

(Edited)

Also, I'd like to be alerted when someone replies to one of my posts. Yes, I trawl through the replies and comments - and attempt to answer them all, where appropriate. Could I get a little flag or be buzzed if someone answers one of my posts, or responds to a reply? Maybe the number of replies I have could be highlighted on my profile pic? What do I think the "thing" should be? I love how engaged people are with ideas on Steemit; I love the positive etiquette and welcome.

Good ideas, yes, there are a lot of possible improvements,it's about sorting through and deciding on which ones, and having the people with talent to implement. I'm pretty new to blogging but i have heard good ideas kicked around on Steemit /peace