RE: Hey Steemains - Let's start a #discussion!

(Edited)

You are viewing a single comment's thread:

Very interesting.
Yeah what is the "thing" about Steemit.
Well for me it became pretty clear from the outset that the community was very different from other social media platforms.
But what?
First of all, what really captured my attention was the Steemit "introduceyourself" method with the obligatory photo holding a piece of paper. I had not seen this before. As a visual person this had a powerful affect on me.
It shouted out something of truth and integrity and motivated me to be part of it. I spend a lot of time advising newbies to the same if they had not done this. Only yesterday I did this with a new member who has been on Steemit for about a month. They then looked at my intro post from December 2016 and today I saw that had gone for it.
Perhaps I am making too big a thing of this but I am only speaking from my own experience here. In my opinion this is a "thing" on Steemit, or at least one of the "things" that makes it unique.
The money part on Steemit will always be a "thing" I guess. But as time goes by and crypt currencies become more accepted in the general population, it will become less of a "thing". The world is changing because ever since the 2008 crash people are educating themselves about how money works. People never thought about this before. They simply went on with their lives trying to earn a living. But when their jobs and homes were suddenly gone because of greedy corrupt banksters who had broken trust with us all, then people began to wonder how this could have happened. They started educating themselves. That is what happened to me and it lead me to Bitcoin 6 years ago.
Steemit is revolutionary for sure but history moves on and rivals to Steemit may pop up in the future.
I see your meaning here @timcliff. In a world with many other Steemit style platforms on a blocjchain and its own crytpo-cucrrency, why would people choose Steemit? What is its "thing".
One other "thing" for me is the "reputation" system on Steemit. I was also blown away with that too. In modern times reputations seem to mean shit. In fact having a bad reputation can even go in your favour in certain circles or professions. I am rather old fashioned that way and like the idea of people earning a reputation. It is a kind of self policing method. A good reputation can take years to make but seconds to destroy. In the american native indian culture, a chief was chosen from their reputation of demonstrating wisdom.
Putting reputation as an integral part of Steemit was a wise move IMO and is a "thing".
Honesty is also a "thing" here on Steemit I would say. I tend to find people more honest here. I dont know that for sure of course because I can only speak from my experience. Perhaps I have been lucky but then I have been lucky many times. These are just what was my initial reaction but I will give the matter further thought and see what else comes to mind.

5 comments

Excellent points!

I was recommended to you by another user for advice with a problem I have with my wallet. I am new so still figuring things out and was told that you were an incredibly helpful and wise mind on the platform. Would it be possible to bug you for advice? Sorry for reaching out through your comments but I haven't figured out how to use messenger yet?

Yes, what's up?

I had a problem when I converted my steem dollars to steem in hopes of converting it to steem power. It disappeared from my wallet for a bit and didn't show in my steem but then came through. As I'm new I was worried I had missed a step but other members of the community were supportive in advice and it ended up showing in the end. I'm so sorry to have bothered you over a problem that resolved itself and am very grateful for you responding. Another user who was equally perplexed as I was recommended that I ask you as I was a bit panicky before the steem showed. In the end it did resolve itself and it the conversion of steem dollar to steem occurred allowing me to power up. I've got all my posts set at 100% to steem power now so hopefully it never happens again. I'm hoping someday to have enough weight to really up vote/support other steemers so I'm not terribly fussed with things like gaining steem or sd. Thank you for the reply and I apologize again for being a bother.

Ok, glad you got it resolved. In the future, if you want to change SBD into STEEM, you can also use the internal market. There is a link in your wallet. With the internal market, you can trade instantly at the current market price, rather than needing to wait 3.5 days.