We use our language daily, regardless of which language you use. Because the language is used and vivid, new years do pop up! This could be words taken over from another language or complete new words. Each year in Belgium a word of the year is chosen. And this year for the first time in 3 categories. We have the word of the year for childs (up until 12), the teenager word of the year and the regular word of the year!
So let’s have a look at the winners!
Childs word of the year!
The nominations were:
- Karma: A term originated from the Hinduism and Buddhism language. Already more common in English speaking countries;
- Bruh: Just means ‘Dude’. Probably a derivative from brother;
- Scrunchie: a brightly colored rubber band for in the hair;
- Sksksk: indicates a laugh, could be used in a positive and negative way
- Tingles: Originated from the English Language and indicates tingling
With 2 boys below 12 at home, I did hear in the past year 3 of these words often at home. These were sksksk, bruh and karma. Karma became the winner of the election and it is now crowned as word of the year. Glad that sksksk didn’t win, because I can’t pronounce it correctly! The win of Karma was more or less a wipeout because I did get 46.4% of the votes. Bruh came second with 15.42% of the votes.
But it is great to see that even kids are changing their own language! I do think that within a few more generation or Flemish will be full of English words.
Teenager word of the year!
The nominations were:
- Yeet: a word which expresses happiness. Just like Karma, it does come over to Belgium via the US Youtubers.
- Ok boomer: again English related. Indicates an older person.
- Skeer: Means poor. No idea how this word sneaked into the language of our teenagers.
- Hayek: For once not an English based word, but based on the Moroccan Language. It means overdoing something.
The winner is: Yeet. I did hear hayek and skeer occasionally at home. But Yeet also. Luckily Old Boomer isn’t used yet 😊
For me it is no surprise that also a Moroccan word is nominated. We do live in a multicultural country. And most friends of my kids are Italians, Turks and Moroccans. I don’t have any problems with this. If they act as friends they are friends!
The adult word of the year!
Here the winner was: winkelhieren. It is a term invented by local entrepreneur and used in a campaign to convince people to shop at the local stores instead of online shopping! It got 33% of the votes.
On second place we do have “klimaarspijbelaar”. Translated: climat truant. This is a student who does skip classes to protest against the environment pollution.
Third place was reserved for egelweg (Hedgehog road). This is a road between 2 gardens specially created for hedgehogs!
In this categorie I only knew Klimaarspijbelaar.